Thursday, May 22, 2008

Trading Franklin for Mao


My 14-year-old son is going to China next month, along with a group of classmates and chaperones. Yesterday I went to Wells Fargo to exchange $400USD for Chinese yuan. A small currency exchange, cash for cash, very routine. To accomplish the task, however, I was required to provide two forms of identification. This was not a glance-at-the-information kind of ID check, which would've been pointless to begin with. No, the clerk put the information into the bank's data base before handing me the currency.

I asked her, "Why on earth do you need my personal information to exchange currency?" She said, under her breath, "Have you ever heard of the Patriot Act? The government requires us to gather this information so they can identify potential terrorists." She went on to tell me that Wells Fargo is the only bank in town still willing to deal in foreign currency. The other banks have opted out so they don't have to jump through government hoops and engage in data mining to benefit our nosy and intrusive administration.

Walking out of the bank with my red notes, Chairman Mao watching me, gave me a creepy sense of foreboding.




-----

1 comment:

P. Ollig said...

Yikes. Yet another way Bush's neo-con madmen have invaded our privacy and transformed our country into a near Orwellian state.

Now I know to wait until I get oversees to exchange my money the next time we travel.