Wednesday, April 16, 2008

The mosquito ringtone

My little girls just shared an amazing secret with me. High frequency mosquito ringtones are being used by kids to receive calls and text messages in school, movie theaters, the dinner table, and other off-limit locales. Most adults over 30 can't hear the ringtones due to presbycusis, a fancy medical term for old ears. The piercing sounds were originally used by British shopkeepers to keep loitering teens at bay, but kids have discovered how to use the teen repellent to their advantage. So clever!
 
The kids and I tried this over and over at different frequencies. I couldn't hear anything except their squeals of laughter.
 
This is supposed to be a great boon for teens. But with a household of cell-toting young ones, it sounds like a win-win to me!




-----

1 comment:

delovely said...

OMG, you add to my teacher`s knowledge....I hope the German kids didn`t find out yet ;o)

But as you said, probably a classical win-win anyway :oD

I am happy you are back and blogging again, always looking forward to your posts!

Martina